Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chuck that remote!

I have a confession to make. I am fighting an addiction. and no one at home seems to have noticed. Perhaps, they are pleased that I am trying to recover from “TV viewing addiction” or specifically , I am trying to overcome my urges to grab the TV remote, park myself on the sofa and mindlessly surf through a hundred channels; counting each time in every possible language I know. (seemed to be a nice way to brush up linguistic and counting skills!). Occasionally there would be the intense craving to jump from one movie channel to the other or one news channel to another and follow it up with an analysis of their discrepancies and mismatches in the reports.

Having the remote in the hands seems to give a sense of power as to who controls the TV watching at home and that’s precisely why every-one else at home, kids included are happy. One person less means lesser tussles over channel preferences.

Now I have kept it up for a good one month. Psst.. I do cast furtive glances now and then whilst the idiot box is on, but the remote and I are playing dawn/dusk game. Whenever there is a craving for holding this remote, it is secured with another member of the family - and when it is free from the clutches of all, my craving is gone. Neither follows the other.

And believe you me! It is such a liberating experience. I have found so much time for books,walks, children and what not!

As for my husband, he is smiling blissfully, for he knows that this “no tv remote handling phase” is just a passing one, just like my obsession with tailoring, painting, making sweets and exercising and is definitely harmless when compared to a "trying out new recipes phase" which he once endured and a “no cooking phase” which he dreads I might undertake! He remarked rather philosophically, but with a twinkle in his eye, "In any case, it is very rare for a lady (Indian/ alien) wielding power to stay away from remote control "- pun intended!

2 comments:

  1. lol...
    Almost everyone who has a TV At home goes through the same situation. We jus browse the channels cos v hav switched on d TV jus 2 pass some time, rather dan watching ny particular programme. When we switch on d tv, v r like a lil kid n a large candy facory, confused over which one to select from a million options...:D;)

    Nice post...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D
    occasional bouts of "will-not" power, in a nutshell?
    good post.. whatever u do, the phase that we ppl r likely to dread would be a 'no blogging' one!! :P
    @sonia gandhi.. brilliant pun!
    was nice reading this one..

    ReplyDelete